James Dover Brewery (1806-1811)
In July 1806, James Dover placed an advertisement in the leading (actually the only) media outlet of the day … the Liberty Hall & Cincinnati Mercury newspaper for a large volume of brewing ingredients:
- 500 pounds of well cured HOPS
- 1,000 bushels of good BARLEY
- 1,000 gallons of well-strained HONEY
… to be delivered to his “Brew & Bake-house in Sycamore street opposite the Market-house“.
The 1853 city directory listed “2 brewers” among the city’s professions in 1805 without identifying them by name; Dover was probably one of those, but the other is unknown.