"Established by Peter Herancourt in 1854, the Box Brewery was so named due to its frame structure that resembled a box. It stood on the south side of Hamilton Road, between Freeman and Denman streets, although this portion of Hamilton Road later became part of Western Row, which even later became Central Avenue. This same site was also listed as 1103 Western Row, and it was directly across the canal from the Bellevue Brewery and one block west of the former Germania/Wetterer brewery.
Herancourt conitnued to operate the small plant until 1862, when he leased it to Francis H. Rothert & Fredrick H. Groene. Two years later, it was leased by Herancourt's brother George, who was simultaneously operating his own brewery on Harrison Avenue." Brewing Beer in the Queen City, Vol. V, Robert A. Musson, M.D. (2014)