George Weber Brewing Co. (1884-1887)
In 1873 George Weber acquired the Jackson Brewery from the Kleiner brothers with a personal Investment of $285,000. In 1884 Weber incorporated the former Jackson Brewery as the George Weber Brewing Company with an initial stock of $500,000.
|"This company succeeded, by incorporation in Januaray, 1884, to a business established so lang ago as 1840, the name of the original founder being now forgotten. By 1853, however, the enterprise was of some importance, and the proprietors, Kleiner Bros., were prosperous brewers. Mr. Geo. Weber, now a principal in the establishment, became interested about the year 1873, at which time, as will be remembered by old residents, and for some years later, he was a Fire Commissioner. Associated with him in the management are Messrs. Wm. Stitchtenoth, the Vice-President, and Wm. Stichtenoth, Jr., the Secretary. The company has a capital stock of $500,000, which is all paid in, which illustrates beyond controversy the substantial character of the enterprise. Its brewing capacity of 100,000 barrels ranks it as among the very largest of concerns here located. It has sixty-two employees, and the very latest devices for manufacture and shipment, the latter including two new Pictet ice machines..."
Morrison, The Industries of Cincinnati 1886, p. 165
|The company experienced moderate success, however on the evening of July 4th, 1887 a roman candle ignited the 9 story malt house. The walls began collapsing into neighboring buildings shortly thereafter, resulting in several fatalities. Although insured, Weber encountered legal issues surrounding the acquisition and subsequent incorporation, resulting in the insurance company only paying out $68,838, roughly half of the total claim. This forced Weber to claim bankruptcy and he was forced to sell the brewery at a price of $130,000.|