"A successful blacksmith, Christian Moerlein joined Adam Dillman in 1853 to establish a small brewery. It was on the site of Moerlein's blacksmith shop on the east side of Elm Street near Henry. They brewed "common beer". When Dillman died in 1854, Conrad Windisch became Moerlein's partner. The new member of the company had been brewmaster at the Koehler Brewery. In the same year, lager beer was produced. The total output then was 1000 barrels for the year.
In 1866, Moerlein bought out Windisch for $130,000." Cincinnati Breweries, Second Edition, Robert J. Wimberg (1997)