"Established in 1848 by Irishmen James Craney & Thomas Drum (formerly of the Reilly Brewery) the Canal Brewery was located at the northwest corner of Smith and Second Streets (also listed as51-53 Smith), on the city's near west side. Its name came from the proximity to the Cincinnati Whitewater Canal basin, completed just one year earlier. Cincinnati's 'other' canal, it was a short connector to the Whitewater Canal, which traveled from the Ohio River northward to Hagerstown, Indiana. Today the brewery site is at the intersection of Interstates 71 and 75, just west of Paul Brown Stadium.
William Walker succeeded Craney as a partner in 1859; he and Drum continued to operate the plant until 1863, when operations were taken of by John Draper." Brewing Beer in the Queen City, Vol. V, Robert A. Musson, M.D. (2014)